Thursday, October 9, 2008

Margret and Frank Sinatra

Margret and Frank Sinatra. I'd never thought they had much in common, if I thought about it at all, which I don't think I did. *wrinkling brow while trying to decide if that made any sense*

Today, reading over the lyric for My Way, I see they had quite a bit in common. Margret lived a full life:

She got to see Ricky Martin live in concert at Radio City Music Hall, and from great seats.
She and I did a road trip, by car, to Oklahoma to visit her little sister and her niece and nephews. We had a great time.
She enjoyed time spent with her little cousins and nieces and nephews at Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings.
She got to go out with her respite person, to do dinner and a movie, or go shopping, or whatever else she desired that they could fit into an evening.
Over the course of her life she had a job or two.
She volunteered.
She enjoyed friends and family.
She liked food, and loved to have take away, or eat out at a restaurant.
She liked to be tucked in at night. We exchanged hugs and kisses, and "I love you"s.

Regrets? Yes, I think she had a few, but small ones given all else she had to cope with.
She wanted to marry and have children of her own, but that was not to be.
She wanted to go on a cruise, but I hadn't got all the logistics worked out in time.
She wanted to spend more time with her sister's babies, but they lived on the other side of the continent, so we did the best we could when we had the opportunity.

I tried to help her make her life as full and happy as possible. And I think I succeeded. Mostly. Because when all was said and done, she was an adult, and felt the things she did because she was herself, and responsible to herself. *Did that make any sense? I hope so.*

For my own self, I can say "Regrets, I have a few, but they're small." The big things, like knowing she knew she was loved, and knowing she knew she could depend on me to help the best I could, those are covered. I did my best. I only hope it was good enough.


My Way

And now, the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, Ill say it clear,
Ill state my case, of which Im certain.

Ive lived a life thats full.
Ive traveled each and evry highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, Ive had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, Im sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

Ive loved, Ive laughed and cried.
Ive had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that;
And may I say - not in a shy way,
No, oh no not me,
I did it my way.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows -
And did it my way!

(my thanks to Lyricsfreak dot com for these lyrics)

No comments: